Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 16 - May 11, 2008 - Next Destination - Tennessee


Rural Highway Observation, originally uploaded by Gail S.

We got an early start on Sunday, heading to Tennessee. We had weathered the overnight storms from the shelter of a Comfort Inn, but the morning was really cold. Just like on our first day of our trip, we kept stopping to add more warm clothing. We enjoyed a hot breakfast in the Alabama mountains in a tiny town called "Skyline" on the top of a mountain. I have lots of mountain and country road shots that I may post later.

I've noticed something from the back of the motorcycle while traveling thousands of miles on rural highways. A small percentage of the homes we pass are likely to have one or two common items on their front porches - a piece of upholstered furniture (recliner, love seat, sofa, chair) and/or an appliance. The exhibit above has (l to r) upholstered chair, and a stove.

It is also likely to find a vehicle in the yard being used as a storage shed. Click on the photo above to see five more exhibits including two astounding uses for retired buses.

The wind on this Mother's Day is very strong and unpredictable. Sid had a terrible time keeping the bike on the road. I was terrified, but kept my mind occupied looking for additional exhibits of upholstered furnishings and appliances on front porches. I found many more than I photographed because I kept putting my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. One home had three appliances and a sofa on the porch - 4 points and I missed it!!!

We had hoped to make it home today, but it was so windy and cold that we could only make it as far as our property on the Buffalo River in Middle Tennessee. After we arrived and thawed out, we took a hard look at the front porch and identified where to position the appliance and recliner. I'll post photos when we have everything in place...

Tomorrow, Monday, May 12, we will head for home. I hope our pets recognize us. We have missed them and our neighbors and friends. We have logged about 2700 miles so far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gail, Gail, Gail! I am just getting back to your blog, Flickr site, etc.

I just read this about the FRONT PORCH.


My, my my but you are a Goof Ball!
XXXXX, Sue