Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 10 - Sept. 6, 2011 (Evening)

We decided to stay at Custer State Park an extra day because I wanted to be available in case I won the drawing for a motorcycle at Crazy Horse National Memorial. In addition, they were having a special night event that salutes memorial sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski, who was born 103 years ago on Sept. 6, 1908, and honors Lakota leader Crazy Horse, who was stabbed by a soldier on Sept. 5, 1877, and died Sept. 6 at Fort Robinson, Nebraska.
I knew things were going my way when we spotted these two on our way through the park. However, it bothered me a bit that the buffalo seemed to be sticking his tongue out at us. The mule deer, on the other hand, was quite pleasant.
Here are a couple of photos of the 2003 Indian Chief Roadmaster motorcycle that I was so certain I would win. Isn't she a beauty? I was really disappointed to learn that a gentleman from Washington state won the bike.
Here's a shot of the tailgate party being held in the parking lot with the memorial lit in the background. What fun we had!
George and Susan from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, were near us and shared their beer and sausage with us. Coincidentally, Kurt (beard) is from Wauwautosa, WI, and his friend, Sean, is from Milwaukeea, Wisconsin. We had a great time talking with these friendly folks from Wisconsin and introducing them to George and Susan from the same neck of the woods.
I shot a short video of the night blast. See below. (I hope it works, I've never posted a video!)

Wow, the memorial looks great after the festivities. It was a moving and memorable ceremony with a fun tailgate party, too. We were so glad we stayed the extra day to do this.Here is Sid in the bed of the truck after the festivities playing his banjo. He was chatting with Daniel, an employee of the memorial, who shared lots of insider information about the night blast.

No comments: